Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Let them eat Macaron's !


       My personal little Parisian heaven in the form of a sandwich cookie.  It’s surprisingly the perfect blend of a crunchy shell with a chewy texture and always different filling that has won my sweet tooth over any other cookie I’ve ever come to love! What does she mean cookie? Aren’t macarons those little smashed dumpling-like balls of overly sweetened coconut with chocolate on them? Far from it! Macarons are mainly made from almond flour and egg whites among eggs, etc.that distinguish them from other cookies.Those little coconut darlings are just Macaroons (commonly American with a debatable origin is more of a cross between a cookie and meringue consisting of shredded coconut and tons of sugar. Myehhh
       However, my obsession started with this cookie back in spring of 2010, when I used to live in Manhattan. I’ve always known about them but never had the urge to just go hunting for them and shell out  1-4 dollars per cookie. Yes, some places price their macarons that high… at least the ones I’m aware of.  My first taste was a few different flavors from a bakery in Korea town in midtown, called Koryodang.  It was the last place I’d ever expect to see one since I went in scouring for the perfect sponge cake but I just couldn’t resist! Needless to say, it was different and interesting and lead to my curiosity and start looking for French bakeries that specialized and that would give me the satisfaction in knowing Id at least tried an authentic French macaron. After some online research, Macaron Café seemed to be the closest one with some fantastic ratings and I ran right over to pick up a few before my typical stroll to Bryant Park.
       The location on 36th and 7th ave across from TD bank must be the most convenient and closest too Penn station (for those of you who like to shop and stay nearby in midtown) and was just the best place to try my first macaron! It was a tiny little café but the chic and almost nostalgic feel to it made me feel like a kid in a candy store. The display of probably a dozen very different flavored macarons, menu of French sandwiches and my personal favorites old fashioned tiny bottles of Coke and Orangina and their gorgeous gift box dubbed “Queen Catherine De Medici” meant trouble! All I have to say is that Rose and Lavender are my most favorite flavors out of 7 or 8 flavors I’ve had all spring. The perfectly pink tinted Rose brings me back memories of whenever my mother cooked with rosewater in Bengali/Indian sweets so obviously I appreciated a new pastry with a more subtle hint of rose in it! Having tried the perfectly Provence Lavender shaded macaron for the first time was just what I expected lavender to taste like…..only better! 
       Now I haven’t had my rose or lavender macaron fix for almost 2 months (which is a big deal for me) whereas it was easy for me to get within a 10 minute walk. I am now an hour away on long island! = ( The last time I went to Manhattan, I got there an hour early on a Saturday only to find out they closed down for Bastille Day!! If you have an obsession for macarons as I do and refuse to make them at home because it’s a complicated recipe, you may understand my frustration!

All I have to say is, this macaron thing is not over!




I've shared my love with everyone i know and am now happy to share with all of you as well as a few pictures of my last visit to Bryant Park with my macarons in hand.... my favorite way of killing free time!
Macaron Cafe


 
Love the open air lounge by Witchcraft = )








Oh my parisian lunch. 
My last visit to the one place I had been so looking foward to, only to find out it was closed for Bastille day. Thanks for capturing this moment of sadness, Aneeta! 
Then shortly, I got over it by visiting the Barbie house inside the insane Toys R Us at Times Square

Thanks again Aneeta, My all time favorite global belle- Russian Barbie. 
Aaahhh who doesnt want a giant stuffed animal?! 

5 comments:

  1. I went to macaron cafe after school let out. I tried the white chocolate and nutella. Soooo good. I also like the vanilla and chocolate trader joes macarons you put me on too. I tried chocolate, vanilla, and blood orange macarons at Miel Pattisserie in philly but they didn't hold a candle to Macaron Cafe :(. I also had pistachio macarons from wholefoods good flavor but crumbly. I could kick myself for not getting any macarons in Paris last year. I am obviously obsessed so I cant wait to get back to NYC fo my fix!
    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Im going to put up another post as a 2nd part of eyecandy for those macaron obsessed!Im so glad you liked the trader joes macarons, i miss them hehe. I havent tried the ones from wholefoods but will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling, the owners of Macaron Cafe opened up a location on 59th Street between Park and Madison Avenues. I tried the lemon and the rose, and I loved the rose one the best!!! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know i must go to the new location! I hope to see u soon too!! Hmm....im thinking of rounding up everyone and catching an evening movie at the great lawn in central park. Happens all august i think = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me sooooooo hooked on macarons right now! I bought 6 different very pretty macarons and they are sitting hidden away in my tote, just waiting to be eaten by me. I keep peaking at them, knowing once I start they'll all be gone in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete